Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Bits & Bobs for Crafty Individuals!




Well, I went all over the place with this one!  After looking through my collection of Crafty Individuals stamps, each of which is lovely, I finally settled on the Dragonfly Collage, the French Script, and the Butterfly Trio.

Here you can see the gorgeous Dragonfly Collage, and the French Script.....and just a hint of the Butterfly Trio, but more of that to come!





I aged some paper with various Distress paints (Aged Linen, a touch of Milled Lavender, and a few touches of Gathered Twigs), and once to my liking, I stamped the Dragonfly Collage in Wendy Vecchi's Potting Soil Archival Ink.  After distressing the edges physically and with some Distress Ink, it looks like this:



Next, I aged some paper using Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs, and splotching it with water spots.   Then I stamped with Ranger Archival Ink in Cobalt using the French Script stamp.   I also physically distressed the edges using my scissors, and then with some more Distress Ink in Ground Expresso.
And now it looks like this:


I think my craft sheet wasn't too clean, given the green and what looks like red but is actually residue from a copper Lindy's Stamp Gang spray!  That's because I thought my substrate would look like this:



















But this turned out to be too glitzy for my ephemera, which include an old portrait I got on e-Bay some time past, and lots of die-cut doilies and lacy things, for which I used the Tim Holtz Wallflower paper.  It has a wonderful vintage look, which I wanted....but it sure is hard to get that bling in with those vintage colors!

Last, but not least, I turned to the Butterfly Trio.... with the idea of "ghosting" it on some acetate stamped with alcohol inks, per these instructions.  So I applied some Pesto and Mushroom alcohol inks to a small piece of thin acetate, along with a tiny bit of gold mixative -  I can't get away from the shiny! I cut it with the Scroll On-the-Edge die, and it looked like this, kind of like a pretty piece of stone:



Following the technique, I then stamped with archival ink in Black Jet.... and immediately began to remove it.  As I feared, the stamp's image is quite delicate, and gets rather lost in the maze of depth and color on the acetate, but you still can just make it out...if you look REALLY hard, lol!




And as I rather liked the scrolling and the green, I left it in the piece.... but here is what the stamp itself looks like - it is one of my favorites.



After adding a few bits and bobs from Graphic 45, which were grunged up with Ground Expresso and Vintage Photo, I stained a Kraft Resist 12 x 12 panel with Picket Fence Distress Stain, and assembled my pieces.  The final make looks like this:


I can think of several story lines for this.....but my favorite is that she lives in the countryside perhaps a widow, a governess, or unmarried but ensconced in the family digs....and collects things she likes to paint.  Or maybe she is one of the first but unknown female botanists.... or maybe this is all a flea market find!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and if you've time, please do comment - I appreciate every one, and each of you!

xxx Lynn

I am entering this into the Crafty Individuals January Challenge .

13 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Lynn - I love the vintage feel and the amazing techniques you've used to distress things. It all works perfectly together and I particularly love the dragonfly in the frame top left! I'd love to know the story of the lady in the picture - I always feel sad that someone has lost their family history when I find old albums and photos in antique shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is just so yummy Lynn, every piece by itself is altered to perfection (love the alcohol ink die cut specially, such a wonderful colour combo on that). The way you have put it all together looks superb!!! You have made me look at my CI stamps in a new way, - love this piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collected ephemera, and the inky ageing of the stamped elements is beautifully done. Like Astrid, I love the green swirly die-cut and the finished collage is gorgeous.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you have created here Lynn. Lots of inspiring ideas. Really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for playing along with the Crafty Individuals Challenge.
    Flo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous piece Lynn!! I have to say how impressed I am with the effects you achieved with the alcohol ink on the acetate. I have never had any luck i=with this technique at all, mine always ends up looking like a smudgy smoosh! Brilliant work Lynn! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this makes me want to sit all day and make up my own ephemera! Gorgeous details on every single piece!!! While I was typing this comment I noticed my blog in your blogroll and want to say how very special that is to me! I am honored and filled with joy! I truly love visiting your blog, always leaving with a mind bursting with inspiration. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The green acetate is a gorgeous element and the fact that the CI stamp is so detailed and maybe not quite the result you anticipated, it in no way detracts from the beautiful of your collage, it is a gorgeous element. Lynn, I love the life stories, can definitely see her as an artist, then again I like the notion that she is a Botanist.
    So glad you managed to join the Crafty Individuals challenge with this beautiful vintage entry.
    Good Luck Wishes!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Lynn you have taken so many elements and put them altogether beautifully. Love the altering and choices. Great job.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very lovely layout and make! Love the colours and ageing techniques here and thanks very much for joining in the Crafty Individuals Challenge this month. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful project, Lynn! Love the results of all techniques used and how wonderful it all looks together. I enjoy looking at your beautiful projects! Thank you for your visit to my blog - appreciate it! I'm hoping to see a "Tim Tag" from you within the next few days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Lynn! Love the touch of Milled Lavender you used to age your paper and love the happy accident of the Lindy's on your letter, looks wonderful! Great use of the alcohol inks and ghosting on the die cut acetate, it's a tricky technique but looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your collection of bits and bobs is amazing, I love the texture and all the idfferent layers. Gorgeous! Thank you for playing with us in to the Crafty Individuals challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect composition of ephemera, just lovely. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.