Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Rocking with Lynne Perrella in Montreal!


I just returned from a wonderful three class series taught at Scrapbook Centrale in Montreal by the phenomenal Lynne Perrella,!

Thank you to Natalie and all of her staff at Scrapbook Centrale, and my fellow workshop participants for making me feel so welcome!

Lynne offered three workshops, one each day. The first addressed the use of "Color as Catalyst". These pieces were created on flat boards (not wrapped canvas), using toner copies of faces, acrylic paints, Portfolio water-soluble oil pastels, and stencils.

On the second day, we looked at using color with full-body figures with various collage elements.  Again we used the same art materials, but this time created the work on Bristol Vellum that was painted with gesso as a base coat.



And on the third day, we played with color, collage and dimensional letters!  Again, we worked on art board, in a larger size, and used any letter or letters from a wide variety of materials.  My letter is some sort of hard plastic faced with canvas.  I liked the large amount of real estate to play with, and at Lynne's suggestion, will consider working on a series of these larger letters.












Watching Lynne demonstrate every day, and witnessing her coaching and critique across many different styles was an incredible learning opportunity.  And of course, I came away with many ideas and lots of new thoughts on using relatively ordinary art materials, including red rosin paper as a foundation (which would need gesso to make it accepting of paint or ink).

I am still working on the last project - I liked how my letter turned out, but not sure I like it on the background project (which I also like - just not sure the two are really compatible).

Here are some detailed shots of the background  - her "bodice" is actually a scrapbook paper depicting a photo of the Great Wall of China.  The scroll above her head is white crackle paste (Wendy Vecchi) mixed with some Luminarte Primary Elements mica powder in Nutmeg.  It is neither shiny nor very crackly, but I do love the texture and color anyway!
The rest of the piece is stenciled, including through the same stencil I used for the scroll at the top (which is Pam Carricker stencil, I believe).


Thank you so much for stopping by, and if you've time, please do leave a comment - I always love hearing from you!  xx Lynn

I will be posting this on Brenda's Visual Journey this week.



5 comments:

  1. Amazing work Lynn, you sound excited in your post re the workshop, lucky you to experience Lynne Perella teaching.
    Smiles:)
    Sue
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow and wow again! What a fantastic experience and thankyou so much for sharing your amazing results. Fascinated by what you've used and the results achieved. Absolutely stunning! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Lynne all f these projects are simply amazing!!! Wow, lucky you attending those workshops!!! I am trying very hard not to be jealous lol... Seriously, - stunning work on each of these pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzer - I'm so envious of you getting to attend workshops with Lynne Perrella herself (unlike Astrid, I'm just giving in to my unworthy jealousy!). What amazing work you created - colour, collage - so inspiring. Thank you for sharing it all with us.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooow, Lynne, I am also soooooo envious of you getting to attend those fantastic workshops! All of these projects you've created are simply stunning! Outstanding work of art!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.